Friday, March 7, 2014

Bullying... A mothers question

This is a disturbing email I received. I wish I could say/do more than just send off this reply.



Hello,

I am a parent of a 13 year old daughter. Her grades are wonderful and she is well liked in school but she is having a few issues with some girls and boys at school with bullying. I have seen a few words written on Facebook about her and do not know if I should intervene or let kids be kids. I'm afraid that if I say something to the school that these kids will only start to bully her worse and then she would be upset with me.
Any help here would be appreciated.

(Name withheld) 



OK, I'm about to vomit!!

I understand this mothers plight but really?! I'm a parent of a 13 year old boy. Well liked as well and no issues. But a friend of mine has a son who was bullied in school. She went to the school (Florida has NO BULLYING laws) and was told that they could do nothing UNLESS the bullying was by the same person/people and it was more than 3 times. So if the "group" of children were not caught 3 times and they were not the exact same kids then she was out of luck.


At this point do you connect a camera to your child to catch someone in the act? Do you tell them to man-up and learn to take it...to make them tougher for a vicious world?

Some parents choose the latter because the world is a scary place and think that this prepares their children for life. Some fear that if they fight too hard that their children will become reliant and not self reliant.


I'm claiming BULLSHIT!! MY child comes first before anything! I will climb on you, step on you and crush you if you mess with my child!! I am not a hovering parent and take pride knowing that I keep a close eye on him, from a fair distance as not to smother, but I DO watch!!


I think you should read this story...


http://newsball.com/the-murder-of-skylar-neese-her-16-yr-old-bff-killers-rachel-shoaf-shelia-eddy/

This is just ONE example of what is happening out there.... Just ONE!!

PLEASE, be THAT parent. Watch your child, watch what happens on their social sites and demand that schools do more. It is always us who watch the news, cry for the OTHER families and say NOT MINE. But it does happen to OURS, it could happen to YOURS. Don't be the one on the news having others cry for you and yours. BE diligent, be proactive and fight for the proper growth of your child.

He/she may not always like what we do, obviously they think we are lame and just being dorky parents, But I would rather have my child mad at me for awhile, as opposed to not having my child. I would rather see their angry face at the dinner table than an empty chair and I would rather have a loud door slamming in my face, a screaming match and a few dozen "I hate you moms" then a silent house.

The Neese family don't have that anymore. That kind of silence is bitter and breaks ones heart.


I'm not a perfect parent, none of us are, but I will be damned if I'm not gonna fight for mine and others.


My advice: Be a PARENT!!!  Don't worry about being your daughters friend. That is NOT your job!!! 

If you stand up for something then your child learns a life lesson and will stand for others...


I could go on forever but I'm gonna let you be THE PARENT. Research my dear, become active and STAND UP!!

-Dana
http://www.standupday.com/08/participants/index.php?target=pages&page_id=intro

Sadly, I am getting emails from parents who do not like my approach and obviously did not look up the link I added OR they are just such lax parents that they obviously don't care. This truly saddens me. So when you see little "Joey" growing up and being a rotten snot, take a moment to look quietly at his parents and blame them!! I have no problem taking emails, it is what I do. However, Please be ADULT enough to make a comment on here for the world to see, not hide behind closed doors. YOU MUST BE A GREAT EXAMPLE TO YOU CHILD!!!!

          *PASS THIS ALONG, SHOW THAT YOU ARE A STRONG PARENT*


No comments:

Post a Comment